The Moon is a Marble

Discourses Relating to Art and Science

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

 

Loomis planehead model

I was inspired by another blog to consider Loomis’s head planes again.  Other head-plane methodologies exist.  James Gurney’s Imaginative Realism tantalizingly referenced (p.69) Bridgman’s plane head, but I was unimpressed when I researched it.  Bridgman’s planes look good, but his method seems too haphazard to me.  It seems like he is endorsing a style, rather than a specific method, but maybe I missed it.  I appreciate the style, but what I want is a method that helps me to learn quicker from practice.  The Asaro plane head seems pretty good, but I haven’t experimented too much with it.  It would be nice to get a small model that did not cost $100. I thought that this post was a very good read on the subject.

This is my attempt at sculpting Loomis’s plane head.  It was made by trying to mimic the “primary planes” in Plate 9, Drawing the Head and Hands, p. 33.   The planes seemed incomplete, and I am not completely satisfied with my interpretation of them.

Super Sculpey and Sculpey Firm mixed together, plus aluminum wire and foil base



Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

February 2009   January 2010   September 2010   October 2010  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]